Wednesday 14 November 2012

Montreal Zombie Walk 2012

Back in mid-October was an event in Montreal that started as a small, unique parade back in Sacramento, California. But, somewhere along the way word of it came out and the people around the world (well, mainly North America) took it to a whole 'nother level! I'm talking about the Zombie walk!



My good ol' friend Fouf went last year and I was sad that I had missed it. When he told me about it this year I absolutely wanted to go no matter what. Well, it turns out there was a record attendance this year. It was HUGE. I don't have the exact numbers, but I was told that there was a lot more than ever before. This even has really caught on. Especially since the start of the hit TV show The Walking Dead.

Case in point

Honestly, I wasn't really prepared for that day. I had completely forgotten about it and my friend was working the night shift at his new job so he got up kind of late and gave me a last minute call to ask me if I wanted to go. Of course I did! So I checked in my wardrobe for some old clothes that I keep for when I go to the family cottage in the woods and go fishing and stuff, ripped them apart, bought some cheap makeup at the pharmacy and voila! Insta-zombification!


My friend though was a little more prepared than I was. He decided to have a theme going for him. He dressed himself up as a zombie golfer! His costume was a hit, especially with the older spectators. He did look pretty funny.


We were a bit late so we had to hurry and put the make up on and then we walked from his place at the Berri Uqam metro to Place-Des-Arts where the march started. We got there just in time and were able to join the crowd. When I got there, I felt pretty cheap with my little make up from the pharmacy and my torn clothes with fake blood. Some people had some pretty elaborate make up with latex for fake bruises and bloody gashes and contact lenses and wigs and all sorts of accessories. But, one thing that seemed very popular were the zipper faces.

Seen here in the lower left, a zipper face.




One dude went as far as making himself an Flood infected zombie Master Chief costume which was pretty fucking bad-ass! For all you non-gamers out there, Master Chief is the main protagonist and the character that you play in the video games series Halo on XBox. The flood are these alien parasites that attack people and once they die they turn into these horrible bloated alien mutation zombie and start attacking you. So here's what Master-Chief would look like.


The walk itself started at Place-Des-Arts, going west on Sainte-Catherine, then down south on Bleury, East on Notre-Dame, South again on Place Jacques Cartier, west on De la Commune, north on Saint-Laurent and back to Place-Des-Arts. The walk lasted several hours, even though I could've walked this distance in 15 minutes. Also, pretending to walk like a zombie gets really tiring on the muscles when you have to fake limp and bend your back and what not. I was pretty sore at the end of the day. The weather was perfect, except near the end of the walk it started to rain. And then it started to pour pretty heavily. We we near the end of the zombie walk and people started to scatter and find refuge in restaurants or wherever they could go to hide. It was a bad ending to an otherwise awesome day.


Through the rain, my makeup became kind of runny. When I got home and got dry, the fake blood on my face started to dry out and make these crusts. It looked even more realistic. But, not so much as some of the stuff I saw that day.

FUCK YEAH!! BRAAAIINS!!

Anyway, that was an awesome day and I can't wait for next year. I wonder if I could pull off a zombie luchador? We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment